Friday, March 6, 2009

Saying goodbye to a friend

I read where Stephen King said he is at his best as a writer when he has a little friend standing in the corner of his office just hanging out. He isn't always there and doesn't know when he will come or go.

King just knows that when he is there, magic will likely occur and he writes as fast and as much as he can. Those are the times when King knows he is at his best as a writer.

While I would never compare myself to King, I can relate to him as far as not knowing when my creative muse will come or go. I do know that it hasn't been with me since Wednesday and I don't see it coming back anytime soon.

Instead, I find myself trying to write with my heart. It's a heart that was broken with the news that my colleague, top assistant coach, and more importantly, my dear friend was found dead in his house Wednesday afternoon.

Two days later, I am still in shock and can't believe that he really is gone.

He has been with me through two divorces, a cancer scare, the birth of my four daughters, and some ups and downs on the football field. Through it all, it has been his incredible wit and big heart that I will remember most.

We started coaching together in 1997 and despite the fact I was his head coach, I realized that he knew more about football than I would likely ever know. Any question I might pose about how to defend an opponents' offense or how to attack a defense, Bill always had the answers.

After he had spent four years at another school, I was able to talk him into returning to my staff this past year as my defensive coordinator. He had just finished a season where his team went 0-10 and the coach he worked for had announced his retirement.

It seemed like a good move for him as one of his losses he suffered a year ago came against my coached-team. However, this year we struggled with numbers in our program and finished with just one win.

Our lack of success had nothing to do with Bill as he was as good of a coach as any I have ever worked with before. He was also the same 'ole Bill as far as humor goes.

During our last game and facing the team he coached a year ago, we were losing by three touchdowns midway through the third quarter. After another failed offensive possession, Bill could tell that frustration was getting the best of me and put his arm around me. He then said the only thing that could have got a laugh out of me at that moment.

"You think this is bad for you?" he asked.

"What do you mean, Bill?"

"I could be over on the other side of the field right now kicking your ass. But, I chose to come and work for you. I feel worse than you could ever feel."

He then flashed me a little smile and walked away. While watching him head down the sidelines, I laughed and was thankful that he had come back to work with me again.

I just wished it lasted longer than one season. I am going to miss the hell out of him.

25 comments:

  1. Well friend, seems you've got me at a loss for words here. Know that you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. There's nothing I can say to make it better just try to remember the good times and maybe it will help you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written amid such sadness, Sir - Thinking of you and your very happy memories of the characterful soul of this wonderful friend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend's family. You have written a very moving post about this friendship and working relationship...I can tell this is a loss that will affect you for a long time. My hope for you is that his words of wisdom will affect you even longer. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad...and I am so very sorry for your loss. I will hold you and your friends family in my prayers this morning! I hope you all feel God's peace during this very difficult time.
    Coach...You haven't lost your muse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so sorry to hear about your friend. i love that last conversation you had.

    mortality sucks, no doubt.

    hey, are you completely uninfected now? i have an award for you on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your loss Brett. Not sure if you saw my comment to your Kelby post, but when we lose someone before their time, I remember them as Hemingway stated it.

    "If people bring so much courage to this world the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there. Your tribute to him will be to take everything he gave you and keep it close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry! Its cliche..but in these moments it all I have!! I pray for you..I pray for his family...and the hope is in the eternity still to come...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great and talented guy. This must be shocking news for you.

    I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, like everyone who posted before me, am deeply sorry about the loss of your friend. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is always hard to lose a friend, especially one who has been with you through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're in my thoughts and prayers, so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, honey, I'm sorry. You know where I am if you need an ear... xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for your loss. But so glad that you have such fond and funny memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...that just sucks. Sending my deepest sympathies. Thank goodness for memories- sounds like you have some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A friend is never really gone. They live forever in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have an award on my blog!! A different award than what you have received! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry for your loss...just reading makes my heart sink..time is too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sure I have said this before - but it stands true in my mind. People come into our lives when they are needed and out of our lives for a reason. We hardly ever stop to think why they were there, just why they had to leave. If you can think about why your friend was in your life, and appreciate those times. I have dealt with way too much loss in my life - and it sucks. No matter what anyone is saying to you here and in your "real life" it is not going to speed the grieving process along. Until then, I wish you well, and I pray for you to cope.
    Your bloggy friend from way back before you had 100+ followers :) , Jules

    ReplyDelete
  22. He sounded like a neat guy. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a great Coach & friend to you. His memory will be kept alive through your many memories. I'm sending you tons of healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. IM sorry to hear about your friends....people come into our lives for a reason...just like they get called away for a reason. Cherish your memories they will help you get thru.

    ReplyDelete