Friday, January 9, 2009

Motivated by another blogger

As much as I have enjoyed my first week writing in my blog, I may have enjoyed reading other blogs more.

An avid reader for the last 20 years, I love to read the written word and admire how different people express themselves by writing. I have been motivated and stimulated by what I have seen this week and look forward to the time I spend seeking out other blogs.

While reading others tonight, I found myself needing to write a letter after reading life's free treats. The latest entry was about the art of letter writing and how no one seems to do it any longer. Meggie talked about how she treasured letters she had held onto for years and how she still enjoys pulling them out and reading from time to time.

I don't remember the last time I wrote a letter to anyone, but reading this motivated me to write to someone that I have neglicted far too long...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Grandma,

It has been almost two years since I saw you and I can't tell you how much I miss you and our visits. I know I should call more often. I can tell you how busy I am teaching and coaching, or I can tell you how much time it takes to try and to do my best raising my little girls...but there really is no excuse. After all, a phone call takes just a few minutes to make.

I guess what I want you to know is how much you mean to me and how much I loved spending time with you and Grandpa. Over the years I have periodically been asked who my heroes are... with no reservation I have answered it has been and always will be you two. I can't imagine a greater pair of role models. You are everything I want to be in life, and everything I want to have in life.

Having been married and divorced twice, I can't tell you how much I envy you two and the relationship you had. I can't imagine being married for 60-plus years like you two were. I am not naive to think it was always easy, which only makes me respect this great accomplishment even more.

But more than just being able to make a marriage work for so long, your greatest accomplishment is in the kids you raised. A registered nurse, an aeronautical engineer, and a President of a bank. All have been incredibly successful in their careers, no doubt because of the pride in their work and desire to do everything to the best of their ability that you and Grandpa instilled in them.

Aside from what they have accomplished professionally, they have all remained close with each other and would do anything for you. What more can a parent ask for than that? You have truly been rewarded for your great work as a parent.

I often look back at the times we spent together. Spending the summer in Chicago and the summers you flew out here to Southern California were truly some of the greatest times of my life. Watching you walk off the plane every time you flew out here was a moment that I looked so forward to and one that I still relive today.

There are times when one of my daughters wants to climb into my lap when I am having a long day or just want a moment to myself. As soon as I start to push her away, I think of you and how you were always there for me to climb into your arms or rest my head in your lap as you ran your fingers through my hair. How can I turn down my daughters after remembering how you never turned me away?

I can't imagine how lonely you have been since Grandpa has passed. Please know that you have a grandson who thinks of you often and tells his children what a wonderful Grandma I have in you.

I promise you this year that I will do a better job of calling you on a regular basis. But even if I don't, I wrote this today because I wanted you to have this with you whenever you may be thinking, "How come my Brett hasn't called me in awhile?" I want you to read it so you can know that there is no one who can admire you more, respect you more, and simply love you more than I do. I also want you to know that I will always be YOUR Brett.

Your loving Grandson,

Brett
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandma and her grandchildren


Thank you Meggie for your wonderful post and motivation to write a letter. Ironically, your blog is named life's free treats... I can't help but think that a letter from a loved one would qualify as one of life's free treats.

I can't wait to mail my Grandma a treat from me in the morning. She has certainly given me so many in my life.

7 comments:

  1. Ah! your comments & your blog have touched a nerve with me. I have a Brett too, I love him with all my heart, as mothers do! I was so touched to read this post, & truly appreciate your sentiments, & your letter to your beloved Grandmother. My Brett spent time with his grandmother, & videoed some of her joy, & pleasure at his visit. A word from a grandchild is always treasured!!
    What a lovely post!
    Thankyou for visiting & leaving me this delightful link to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Your Grandma will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful letter. It will simply make your Gran's day. Thank you for the comment you just left me, it made mine. I will make sure I write that letter to my Mum, so that Meggie's post will continue to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only has it been a very long time since I wrote a letter, I can't even remember the last time I received one (that wasn't a disguised form of mass advertising).

    E-Mail (even supposing your grandmother had an e-mail address) doesn't lend itself to the kind of lengthy thought letters such as the one you wrote.

    If anything e-mail is the child of the telegram, not the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a touching letter! And it's something I can relate to because I've a special bond with my grandma,too. Unfortunately I don't call her that much, even though I think about her ever so often.
    Also, thanks for the comment you left on my blog. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss my Grandma terribly, and wish I could write her a letter that she would read. She gave me my first camera, I truly have her to thank for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are like a meeting on a screen.

    ReplyDelete