Friday, January 23, 2009

Three weeks and counting

When I started writing a blog three weeks ago, I did it for my sanity.

Not that I was afraid I was one foot in the door at the local psych ward. Trust me, I have been there before and I know what that feels like.

I also know that I am no where near that point, and that I will never be there again. I have never been happier or more content in my life than I was at the start of the year.

But something was missing and I knew I needed and wanted more.

What I was looking for was an opportunity for me to do something that I enjoy doing and that didn't cost anything as far as time and money goes. It is not often that my life allows me a positive outlet to let loose a bit and let it all hang out.

Writing has and will always do that for me.

What I have found by writing the prior 17 posts is exactly what I hoped to find: a place that I could say anything with out the fear of being judged for what I was thinking or for whatever may be going on in my daily life as a father or as a teacher.

Where else could I tell someone about my foul-mouthed daughter, my zipper being unzipped in front of a crowd of high school kids, or pour out my feelings for a grandmother that has given me so much in my life? Before now, there was no place.

In my first post, I wrote what I hoped to gain from starting a blog and that I expected to do it with little or no audience. I honestly didn't think or cared if anyone would be reading my stuff.

So, when I have written my posts and have come back three or four hours later to find the number of comments and the things that have been said to me, it has been overwhelming. I can't tell you how much it has meant to me and I can't thank you enough.

It is funny that the people that I know the most, and who deal with me on a daily basis, don't really know me. And the people who have read what I have wrote, but wouldn't be able to pick me out of a crowd of people, probably know me the most.

So, thank you so much for reading. Whether or not you come back and read again... I'll keep writing. But, it would be cool if you did come back.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure your daughters will one day realize, if they don't already, what an amazing father they have. Your honesty and clarity of mind come through loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll keep coming back! I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you need to worry about people coming back... you are too good not to come back. Your daughter would say that you are cool as shit. I find it remarkable that you can be incredibly funny one day, then very touching and moving the next day. I am actually surprised you don't have more followers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait to that surreal moment when someone says..."I found your blog!"
    I still ponder why I felt so strangely about it... I was in a Sunday School class where the teacher spoke highly of my blog and wanted to put the address on the board! I felt naked in front of everyone...trust me not a good feeling...especially in Sunday School! I am not a writer and I don't pretend to be...so I handled it poorly and said No thanks to everyone in the room!
    You are a wonderful writer and it's always enlightening to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got me hooked, ain't going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read your posts....It is such fun to "meet" new people through the internet.

    I am not much of a writer, but I love to share the crazy things that happen in our lives and to remember/honor memories.

    I am glad you are getting what you needed out of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogland is an amazing place :). I, for one, am glad you're here... and I hope you stay for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you've only been blogging three weeks. It took me months before I was comfortable with sharing about myself online.
    You're an entertaining writer with an interesting life. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first happened on your blog, I didn't believe that you were a newbie. You strike just the right note for me - sweet, sentimental, yet funny and sarcastic at the same time. You have a talent that I envy and admire - I am quickly becoming a regular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I will be back...and it's not just because you know Danny in real life. I meant what I said in my last post - about how awesome your blog is. It has actually inspired my own creativity, so keep blogging for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog so I could find yours. Congrats on starting one. I've only been at this less than six months and I am so hooked - I can't imagine stopping. Mostly for the reasons you stated in this post. I love the feedback from my readers and the connections I have made with them. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely understand what you are saying and feel the same way for the most part. (Sometimes because of the expletives I use on my blog I am met with adversity every now and then.) But mainly, everyone is very supportive and I love it. I'm glad you've found an outlet to express yourself freely and openly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are welcome! It's remarkable what you've done here in three weeks. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right about the people we "know" not knowing us at all - but out blog readers do...

    ReplyDelete