Saturday, February 7, 2009

Help us all

If you turn on the local news in Southern California the last couple of days, you would think that we were under attack.

News vans in every suburban city, residents rushing to the local Walmart to grab supplies, conversations in line at the bank yesterday centered on how long the suffering would continue, and cable/satellite and internet services flickering off and on had it's customers wondering how long it would it last.

What's going on in the land of movie stars, surgically-enhanced body parts, and just your every day quacks that reside with me in one of the most populated regions in our country?

Rain.

That's it. Fucking rain. I am embarrassed to even admit it. Rain is turning Southern California into a scene that resembles one you would find in the movie Independence Day.

It started on Thursday and has continued sporadically ever since. In my desert community, we even had some hail. I even had to pull out a jacket with a hood last night when I went to my basketball game.

Where is Barack Obama and government assistance when you need it?

Already a bitch to drive in and around Los Angeles, the weather has made local drivers even harder to handle. A trip that normally takes five minutes to take, now takes 30 minutes as drivers limp through every intersection at the first sign of rain.

Throw in the want-to-be NASCAR drivers who continue to drive 20 miles over the speed limit and you get a reported 104 accidents in Los Angeles in the first nine hours of the storm. Makes you want to just stay home and watch TV.

The news is what entertains me the most on raining days.

The first 15 minutes of the newscast is dedicated to the weather. The economy and the Senate's impending vote on the recovery plan would have to wait. Forget about getting any real news.

Thanks to TiVO, I couldn't help but continually rewind reporters interviewing residents and how they are dealing with the phenomenon of water falling from the sky. Here is my favorite:

Reporter: "How are you handling all the rain?"

LA resident: "We are trying not to go out in it. I know we need it, but it has just been so much. I am afraid to even go out and drive in it. My husband has been in the garage making sand bags just in case we need it. We just hope we can make it through the weekend."

Reporter: "Well, thank you. Good luck to you and your family."

Make it through the weekend? Are you kidding me? It's rain and according to the Los Angeles Times, LA has had a grand total 1.47 inches in two days. Reports are a new storm is supposed to hit Southern California some time Monday.

Please pray for us as we go through this tough time.

27 comments:

  1. This is great..It's how I feel about Jersey drivers when we get snow...if you cna't hack it...STAY HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Californians are kinda crazy, aren't they? It must be like another world out there. Here in the Midwest, we're used to all kinds of weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the newscasts all have storm watch and storm tracker before the rain starts. Seriously. It's rain.

    At my daughters preschool half the children were in rain coats, with umbrellas and rain boots yesterday and it was barely sprinkling when we got there. I grew up on the Washington coast, so a little rain sure doesn't bother me. There needs to be at least 100 mph winds and a power loss or two for it to be a real storm. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahaha my rain dance worked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! "Hate's California, it's cold and it's damp..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. BAHAHAHahahahahahahaha...

    I'll be sure to add you poor Californians to my prayer list just as soon as the 4 foot snow drift next to my driveway disappears. :|

    I lived in LA for a couple of years and I remember how rain always signaled the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious! God forbid you guys ever get any snow. That would surely be the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Under 2" in 2 days - really? Umm o.k. I guess most places that is just a warm up. Heck here it would dump another 2 in a 1/2 hour just to remind you who is boss!

    In the mean time I will swing into my childhood church, the Catholic church, tomorrow and light a candle for you all ;)
    May God be with you. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'll be praying for LA with all your, um, rain. Maybe LA should come and visit Germany, two inches of falls about everything three hours around here. I'm sure that would lead to traffic jams and unending panic. (Not to mention wipe out all food from the stores because you know in a crisis you need bread and milk.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand...it's cold here in Florida..it is! But you would think we were under attack the way they have played this out in the news!
    Keep Dry and I will never be warm again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't realized the pain and suffering you're going through! Life must be terrifying.

    Now excuse me as I head out into our 30th snowstorm of the winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my thoughts and prayers are with you..Stay safe, coachdad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAHAHA this is hilarious. ohhhh California...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehehehe! I'd love to see what Californians would do with the foot of snow we received 2 weeks ago where I live! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rain is to LA like snow is to London. We are having the worst snow here for 18 years or more and last week London was brought to a standstill - no commuter trains and no buses. Schools all closed and roads blocked so we couldn't drive anywhere. Pathetic or what? But as for rain - a piece of cake here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my. We do get our share of rain, but that sounds terrible. I have not watched the news in a few days, so I am out of the loop on everything.

    Sometimes, I thinks it is best to be out of the loop. The government is going to do what it wants to do anyway, so why stress over it?

    You mentioned TIVO. Isn't it wonderful? How did we live without it? Too bad we can't TIVO life and weather.

    It is 60 degrees here today! I will send some some virtual sunshine your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Coachdad, thanks for stopping by my site. Your not alone in having weather idiots. We get over 6 feet of snow each year, you'd think people would be used to it. We also have both kinds of drivers on the road, people that are driving too fast and people that creep along like they've never seen snow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rain....it just keeps spitting here...I just want it to pour and fill our resevoirs! What sucks is that I can't ride my bike to work and that is how I get in my daily exercise....so let's just get the rain overwith already! Good luck on the road-same here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor, poor Coachdad. How sad it must be. Is California like NJ? Here, when the weather reports say snow, we all run to buy milk, bread and eggs. I think snow means New Jerseyeans make French Toast or something? I bet you all get avacados and pitas and sprouts, very hip.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Geez. Your weather sounds atrocious. When we drove to my grandmother's funeral (2+ hours one-way), we were subject to a travel advisory (not to drive on the single-lane highway) due to blowing snow. We weren't able to see either the white lines (identifying the side of the road) or the yellow lines (dividing the highway in two-lanes) for long periods of the trip. Add in slippery spots on the highway as an added challenge.

    I now feel so humbled. Good luck with all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. My. Word. Wonder what they'd do with the two inches of ice we got? Probably start looking for Jesus to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a relocated East Coaster, I still find the news during a rainstorm hilarious even after 13 years of LA living.

    Just think about the mass hysteria if it snowed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Coachdad,

    I grew up in the SCV and know very well of which you speak. "OMG! The sky is falling, the sky is falling, it's every man for himself!" Not to mention the assholes that don't know how to drive when a road that hasn't seen rain for 10 months suddenly becomes an oil slick.

    Thanks for stopping by my little corner of cyber space.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I moved to the midwest from the northeast a few years ago, and every time the tornado sirens sound, I'm in the basement with the dog and cats.

    Last summer, our local weather reported a tornado headed in our direction. Estimated time of arrival was about 35 minutes. My husband ran out picked up a pizza (he's a native).

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK no offense but these people are WIMPS. How would they handle a real emergency, like crop circles?

    ReplyDelete
  26. We get all our rain at one time several times a year. We have waterfront property for a few days after a big storm comes. It is the down side to living a stones throw from all that water.

    ReplyDelete