Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Realizing a dream


Remember when you were a kid and someone would ask what you wanted to be when you grew up? I do. And, I lied every time.

I would answer with the customary pilot, fireman, teacher, or policeman response. Sometimes, to get a laugh, I would poke fun of my small stature and say that I wanted to be horse jockey.

All were bullshit responses, of course. I, unlike my classmates, knew what I wanted to be since I was a 5-year-old.

I wanted to be the head football coach at our local high school. My Dad took me to a game when I was in first grade and that night was all I thought about for days.

I kept bugging my Dad to take me again and he finally did. Over and over again. All I could think about while watching the games was one day playing on that field and then later coaching on it.

Ten years later, I did play on that field and would for four years. Unfortunately, God dealt me a cruel blow by stopping my growth in seventh grade. I played as a 5-6, 120-pound wide receiver who offered the team very little in my playing ability.

What I did offer was someone who gave it his all at every practice and game and one who became a spiritual leader. While my teammates were doing everything on the field to get us a win, I was on the sidelines rooting and waving a towel to get the crowd involved.

I loved every minute of it, but often was embarrassed about being nothing more than a cheerleader in pads. What I really wanted was the chance to make a difference on the field.

That never happened in high school. However, two years ago I realized my dream of becoming the school's head football coach. With the same enthusiasm that I had as a player, it is now my responsibility to bring the winning tradition back to the proud school.

It's the opportunity I always wanted.

For more Wordful Wednesdays go to Seven Clown Circus.

27 comments:

  1. What a cool story! I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is all about doing the most with what you're given, and I think you've done just that - then and now.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good story! I'm sure your making quite a difference on the field, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing what very few people do. You are working your dream. Congrats!
    Currently, I have removed the following from my list of what I want to be when I grow up:
    cop, mlb pitcher, drummer for Metallica, accountant, shrink, retail anything, basketball player, Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and president of the USA (Sorry, dad!). I am still working on the other list.
    (thanks for visiting my site)

    ReplyDelete
  5. livin' the dream... there is nothing better for your head and your heart. and you're teaching your kids that they really can do whatever they want. yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post as always. I still am amazed you have only been blogging since January. You have 96 followers now. 96! I am jealous. Just shows how great you are with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have something in common..I did not want to be a football couch at 5 years old :)...but I KNEW I wanted to be a mom...so in a different way I live my dream every day too!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It isn't often we get to do what we love and have dreamed of. Congratulations, and I'm delighted that becomming your dream didn't ruin the dream for you, like it has for many. Then again, I don't know of a single little kid who says they want to be a corporate drone when they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! I wanted to be one of those girls in the Robert Palmer music video!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's no need to lie about that, just tell them! I think its a fantastic dream you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely story and a very special picture. Thanks for sharing both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very neat - just goes to show that there is a master plan out there...sometimes we may not think that all is going according to "our" plan, but if we let go it will all come around to what we need. Well - that is, it will if we don't fuck it up and get in the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post made my heart swell!!! That was a terrific story, and a super ending!!!

    My Wordful is about the 'twin towers' here in our city. Stop by if you can. I'd love your company.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic story and I hope your winning days with the school are many!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are very blessed. 4 beautiful daughters and living your dream. My hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oldest son still has the same enthusiasm for football, well actually all sports! His knee went out in 9th grade ending his high school football career! He became a long distance runner...he runs a half marathon this weekend! He loves...football the best though!
    I think he should coach a young team...he is so good with kids and knows so much about football!
    I am glad you get to do something you love everyday...you are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let me just say...your girls are beautiful. I grew up with 3 sisters, and I love it. We are best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Go Rudy! Go Rudy! lol! I LOVE football. Unlike most women I am estatic that I only have 3 boys....2 of whom are already playing for the West York Bulldogs. A friend of mines son Kyle Baublitz has already gotten 6 offers from colleges for football and hes only a junior. Coach Paterno sent him a handwritten letter inviting him to PennState. Can I just drool now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always known what I wanted to be as well. Still working on accomplishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are Blessed!! It's a Beautiful thing to see Dreams come true. Sometimes it may take longer then we want. But, it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as we arrive!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How wonderful to have your dream realized. Is there lots of pressure as head coach?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy for you that you realized and went after your dream. Most of us still don't know what we wanna be when we grow up! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is awesome. And hey, I'm a shortie too. We could take over the world together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wanted to be a ballerina, but I never got past the, "I'm a little teapot" part.

    Go Coach!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You should never give up on dreams. It's wonderful that yours had a chance to come true.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, such an amazing story. I've always envied people who have been able to turn their dreams into a reality.

    Oh, by the way, thanks for all the comments you left on my old blog. My life took a major turn and I had to delete the blog so that I could remove all traces of my old life and start fresh.

    Anyways, keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. What an amazing gift. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I'm almost 36. Wonder how much longer it will take.

    ReplyDelete